Saturday 8 September 2012

Blood, sweat, and tears on the tri course- part Two!

So, at this point you are probably wondering "what about the blood?". I did forget to mention that they also poked my finger to check my blood sugar.  So there was a bit of blood.  My blood.  And some tears.  Not many,though.  I don't tend to cry in front of strangers.   And now we come to the "sweat"!  This is the exciting part.  This is the part where I walked up to T1 all dejected thinking I would have to call it a day and ride the shuttle to Banff in defeat.  BUT when I got up there and put on my shirt and bike jacket and looked at my race number just waiting to be put on, I DID put it on.  I remembered what the ATA official had told me down in the medical tent.  He said I could have just done the shorter distance anyway, and just been DQ'd but still have my time.  I didn't have a timing chip.  I could do anything I wanted,  I was a free agent.  So what I decided to do was ride the 12k super sprint distance back into Banff on my bike, rack it at T2, and then do whatever part of the run course I felt like.  And that's just what I did.  I had an awesome, mostly downhill ride back into Banff, racked my bike, and then proceeded onto the run course just like I belonged there.  I took a bathroom break at T2 and ate a gel, too.  The gel didn't sit quite right, though, so I was back with tummy issues.  I saw Neil, though, right at the start of the run course.  He was so happy to see me and of course oblivious to everything that had happened.  I just called out, "I didn't do the whole thing!", and kept on running.  Kind of running.  Jogging at best, mixed with walking.  At 2 points on the course I just crossed the street instead of doing the little loop, so I probably only did 4k of the course, but I was only out there to experience the run course and feel like I'd done all I could.  I felt nauseous the whole way but just took it really easy.  At one point, a couple of blocks from the finish line, a runner came up and said, "Do you want to run in with me?  I'm going really slow". But after about 100 meters I had to let her go on because I felt like throwing up.  Very sweet of her to help.  I came to the finish chute and jogged in.  Sweaty.  A little teary.  Glad I was able to do what I could do given my awful start to the race.  So In spite of my disappointment with this race, I am so grateful for so much.  The awesome volunteers that assisted me on the swim course.  Those fellow athletes that helped and encouraged me.  All the spectators in the town of Banff that cheered me on to my "unofficial" finish! And my stalwart husband who stands by me and supports me in every possible way.  Including loading my bike into the car and driving me home while I slept.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what an amazing experience! Although things didn't go as planned, you made the best of the situation. Well done!

    ReplyDelete